Introduction to Community Services
The Introduction to Community Services is a 30 hour pre-vocational program for learners wanting to transition into a variety of Community Services training at Living & Learning Nillumbik or local TAFE. The program will provide introductory level content with a focus on employability skills, professional communication, confidentiality, ethics, disclosure, employment expectations and further pathway opportunities.
Next course starting 3 February 2022
Dates: Thursdays 3 Feb-7 Apr (10 sessions)
What to expect
At the end of the course learners will be able to
- make an informed choice on further pathway opportunities (Including barriers to participation in study eg. IT, language and literacy, organisational skills, financial, life balance).
- Have an understanding of further study and employment expectations in Community Services.
- identify support (formal & informal) needed to increase completion of further study.
- have increased confidence to learn and engagement in learning.
- understand qualifications available locally
There are no specific pre-requisites for this course. however an interest in undertaking further study in the Community Services sector is encouraged. Students may, however, be required to have some computer skills in the event the course needs to be delivered online. Support will be made available in this instance.
The Adult Community & Further Education Board subsidises places in this course to support people to return to study, the workforce or volunteer work. Learners will be supported to pathway into courses available at Living & Learning Nillumbik or at a local TAFE Certificate III in Community Services and/or the Diploma of Community Services.
Learners will be supported to access Skills and Jobs centres for additional career counselling.
How to Enrol
If you are a concession card holder you will need to present your concession card at one of our centres prior to the start of the course in order to be eligible for the concession fee.
If you are a permanent Resident and/or Australian Citizen/New Zealand Citizen and not enrolled in mainstream secondary school you are eligible for a government subsidised fee.
This fee is available to:
- Commonwealth Health Care Card holders, and their dependant children and dependant spouses
- Pensioner Concession Card holders, and their dependant children and dependant spouses
- Veteran's Gold Card holders (but not their dependants).
- Please note: if under 17 years of age and disengaged from school, participants will need to obtain an official Transition from School Form for us to sight.
If you are eligible, please select the concession fee when enrolling and click "calculate discount". You will also need to present your concession card at one of our centres prior to the start of the course in order to be eligible for a concession fee.
For non-eligible individuals, the full fee will apply (see 'Fee Structure' below).
Refer to our Fees, charges and refunds policy for information about withdrawals and refunds in our government-subsidised and Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses.
Karen has over 14 years experience working in the community sector as a project worker, accredited trainer, pre-accredited trainer and Professional Development facilitator for a variety of not for profit organisations.
Karen started her learning journey in a community house so she understands the need to make the learning engaging and relevant. She supports the learner to build their confidence to try new things and develop pathways to new learning or other job-ready opportunities.
Karen teaches and designs both online and face to face learning covering a range of subjects including Basic Computer skills, Online safety, internet, social media, Introduction to Community services to suit the needs of the local community.
To find out more about this course, click "Enquire" to send us an email.
- Phone: (03) 9433 3744
- Email: email@example.com
- Diamond Creek
- 119 Cowin Street
- Diamond Creek 3089
- 739 Main Road
- Eltham 3095
- Panton Hill
- 18 Bishops Road
- Panton Hill 3759
- Nillumbik Shire Council trading as Living &
- Learning Nillumbik, Registered Training
- Organisation No. 3989, ABN 64 487 894 794