Make Do and Mend
DescriptionReduce the cost of living now! In this 8-week course you will learn lifelong skills that will help you to reuse instead of throwing away, save you money and take positive steps for climate action.
In this course you will learn:
- Darning, stitching and knitting - sewing a button back on, darning small holes
- Basic carpentry - using a hammer, saw and drill, using hinges, hanging a picture, joining 2 pieces of wood
- Gardening - growing food at home, seed collection, permaculture principles
- Preserving and cooking - including using leftover produce to make relishes, chutneys and jams, preserving olives, basic baking
- Making home-made gifts, cards and wrapping
- Self-grooming at home
- Mudbrick demo
- Celebration of success - create community while showing the skills you have learnt
This activity is open to people aged 15 and over. If you are under 18 years, the Child Parental Consent section of the enrolment form must be completed prior to the first session.
VenueThis course is held at our Panton Hill Centre - 18 Bishops Road, Panton Hill
What to bringStudents can start to collect - Jars, garden pots, gardening gloves, clothes with holes (to
mend), overalls or old clothes to work in, boots, nice paper and card.
Sewing - Needle, thread, scissors, needle threader, spare buttons.
Home maintenance - Hammer, saw, varied nails, picture hooks, screw drivers screws.
About the TutorArtist Emma Amos has been a Nillumbik local for 43 years. She hopes to use this course as an opportunity to bring community together in an advantageous way while building old skills that the area is known for. ‘Growing up in Nillumbik I always had this sense that we could achieve anything. Building houses from the very earth we stood on, artisans creating, such strong community. I want to share that with others and the new generation.’
Concession feesA Concession fee of around 10% off is available to holders of Health Care Cards, Pension concession cards or Veterans Gold cards.
If you are eligible, please select the concession fee when enrolling and click "calculate discount".
You may be asked to present your Health Care card, Pension concession card or Veterans Gold card for verification when attending a course or activity.
|Make Do and Mend||Panton Hill||Wednesdays 8 February - 29 March 2023 6pm-8:30pm||$49.00|
- Phone: (03) 9433 3744
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diamond Creek
- 119 Cowin Street
- Diamond Creek 3089
- 739 Main Road
- Eltham 3095
- Panton Hill
- 18 Bishops Road
- Panton Hill 3759
- Nillumbik Shire Council trading as Living &
- Learning Nillumbik, Registered Training
- Organisation No. 3989, ABN 64 487 894 794