Discover the authentic taste of various cuisines, using the freshest ingredients. A tasty three-course menu is prepared in each hands-on workshop and enjoyed for lunch or dinner afterwards. Choose from the varied workshops held throughout the year or do them all!
These workshops are all open to people 18 years and over and are held at the Panton Hill Centre.
18 Bishops Road Panton Hill.
Italian cooking - Tutor Janice Mariani
Janice has spent over 30 years cooking for the locals and celebrities in a restaurant amidst the hills of Umbria, Italy. Each workshop date has a different menu and topic. Meet at the Panton Hill Centre and Learn how to cook fresh pasta, potato gnocchi, traditional pizza and even an Italian Christmas feast. Sit, relax, and enjoy what you have cooked for lunch. Bring an apron and a container to take home any leftovers.
- Pasta - various ravioli and tortellini recipes
- Gnocchi - savory and sweet gnocchi with various sauces
- Flavors of Naples - savoury potato pie, mozzarella in carrozza and oliva ascolana ( meat filled olives, which are crumbed and fried) and a Napolitan surprise sweet.
- Rustic Recipes - baked quail on a bed of polenta, mushrooms from the woods, zabbione with seasonal fruit Grattin
- Traditional pizza
- Italian Christmas Feast
Sourdough breadmaking - Tutor Jenna Farrington-Sear
This fun workshop will cover basic theory as well as the tactile pleasure of all the steps of making bread from milled flour. Suitable for novices and those who want to expand their bread making repertoire.
- The essential ingredients and tools of the trade
- The principle steps of bread making
- Baker’s Percentage and Hydration
- Mixing, kneading and folding dough
- Shaping loaves, scoring and baking
- Maintaining a starter
From the workshop you will take home:
- A piece of dough which can be baked at home
- A sourdough starter
Please bring the following in addition to the items listed below:
- A medium sized bowl (eg. Pyrex 2L or 3L)
- A small container or jar with a lid to store sourdough starter and take home
Thai cooking - Tutor Duang Tengtrirat
Duang is a well known local caterer who has a passion for using the freshest produce directly from her garden. She is passionate about sharing her love of Thai food as well as cooking healthy meals on a budget.
Indian cooking - Tutor Taariq Hassan
Learn how to cook a healthy North West Indian vegetarian meal from scratch using authentic ingredients.
Punjabi workshop menu:
- Basmati rice with peas and cumin seeds
- Daal Tadka (spice lentils)
- Aloo Ghobhi (dry stir fried potatoes and cauliflower)
- Chappatti (Indian flat bread)
- Raita (Yoghurt based side dish)
- Dry roasted pappadums
- Milk based dessert
Southern region workshop menu:
- Sambhar (spiced lentil soup with tamarind and vegetables)
- Iddli (steamed savoury rice /lentil flour cakes)
- Fresh coconut chutney
- Tamarind rice with peanuts and curry leaves
- Dry roasted papadums
- Plain yoghurt
- Milk based dessert
Taariq is UK born Pakistani. He has traveled extensively in India and Pakistan and is proficient and enthusiastic at cooking traditional Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his skills and knowledge with others, is a qualified teacher and has also completed a Cert IV in training and assessment.
Comments from participants
"Very well presented and fantastic to enjoy a tasty lunch with the group"
"Great teaching, company and hands on, terrific – should have more often”
What to bringPlease bring your own apron, cutting mat, tea towel and storage container/s for any leftovers.
Recipes, tips, hints and food leftovers will be taken home by participants.
Concession feesConcession fees are available to holders of Health Care Cards, Pension concession cards or Veterans Gold cards. If you are eligible, please select the concession fee when enrolling and click "calculate discount'. You may be asked to present your card for verification when attending the course or activity.
|Cooking - sourdough breadmaking||Panton Hill||$59.00||Saturday 24 June 2017, 10am - 1pm|
|Sourdough breadmaking||Panton Hill||$59.00||Saturday 19 August 2017, 10am-1pm|
|Indian cooking - Punjabi||Hurstbridge||$92.00||Monday 21 - 28 August 2017, 6:30pm-8:30pm|
|Indian cooking - Southern region||Hurstbridge||$92.00||Monday 11 - 18 September 2017, 6:30-8:30pm|
|Sourdough breadmaking||Panton Hill||$59.00||Saturday 23 September 2017, 10am-1pm|